Wow, My Health Insurance Does That?
3 Truths About Health Plans That May Surprise You
BeWellnm is the only place in New Mexico where you can get free local help to get insurance. Most people who move from Medicaid to a beWellnm plan pay little (or nothing) each month to have high-quality health insurance.
Having health insurance coverage helps keep you—and your community—healthy and well. And some things that health insurance can do may even surprise you! Here are three ways buying a beWellnm plan helps you and your neighbors.
1. Protects You From Big Medical Bills
If you don’t have health insurance, you might get stuck with a big bill if you have a serious illness or accident. This can sometimes lead to deep debt or bankruptcy.
Many health expenses cost more than you may think. Here are a few examples:
- Broken leg repair: $7,500
- 3-day hospital stay: $30,000
- Cancer care: Hundreds of thousands of dollars
Set Limit to Out-of-Pocket Expenses
Health plans have an out-of-pocket maximum for each person on the plan to protect you from high, unexpected healthcare costs. Once you reach the out-of-pocket limit, the plan pays for all covered services. Choose a health plan with an out-of-pocket limit you’re comfortable with paying in case you have a major medical event. Use our Shop and Compare Plans tool to find the coverage you need.
No Annual or Lifetime Limits
There are no annual or lifetime dollar limits on coverage for essential healthcare benefits. Every beWellnm plan covers these 10 essential healthcare services:
- Outpatient care: Treatment or surgery you get in a doctor’s office or hospital without staying overnight.
- Emergency services: Treatment in the emergency department.
- Inpatient Care: Treatment or surgery when you stay overnight in the hospital.
- Maternity and newborn care: Healthcare for your pregnancy and new baby.
- Mental health and substance use disorder services: Care that includes behavioral health counseling and addiction treatment.
- Prescription drugs: Medicine you can only get with permission from an approved provider.
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices: Services that help you improve daily living functions you lost when you were disabled, hurt or sick.
- Laboratory services: Checks of your blood, saliva, cells or urine to diagnose or manage a health problem.
- Preventive, wellness and chronic disease management services: Healthcare visits to help you stay healthy. For example, screenings, vaccines and checkups.
- Pediatric services: Healthcare for children, including oral and vision care.
Some plans have a network of doctors and facilities. You might pay higher costs if you see providers out of the network. Check to see if your doctor is included in the plan’s network of providers before signing up for a plan.
2. Gives You No-Cost Preventative Care
Every beWellnm plan covers certain well-check and screening services without charging you an out-of-pocket expense (copayment or coinsurance)—even if you haven’t yet met your annual deductible.
There are so many preventative services available! A few examples include:
- Blood pressure screening for adults
- Blood screening for newborns
- Bone density screening for all women over age 65
- Cervical cancer screening for women aged 21 to 65
- Depression screening for adolescents
- Folic acid supplements for women who may become pregnant
- Fluoride supplements for children without fluoride in their water source
- Immunizations for adults (tetanus, measles, shingles and more)
Preventative care varies by a person’s age, gender, family health history and personal health. Check with your doctor for a full list of services available to you and your family.
Quick Tip: No-cost preventative services are only free for in-plan network visits. Make sure your doctor or provider is in your plan’s network before scheduling a non-emergency appointment.
3. Gives Back to IHS & Tribal Healthcare Center Clinics
Getting insured helps your local clinic! Your insurance company pays Indian Health Service (IHS) or Tribal Healthcare Centers for the care you receive. IHS and Tribal Healthcare Centers use that money to take care of people in your community. This helps clinics continue to grow and offer more services.
If you receive services from the IHS or Tribal Healthcare Center, you still need health insurance coverage if you seek health care outside of an Indian Health Service or Tribal Healthcare facility. Your beWellnm plan does not replace IHS or Tribal Healthcare Center coverage—it enhances your coverage. If you enroll in a health plan through beWellnm you can still see doctors outside of an IHS and Tribal Healthcare Center. Plus, you gain access to services local clinics may not provide such as specialty, urgent or emergency care after hours.
Health Insurance 101: How to Enroll With beWellnm
Ready to get started? We’ll walk you through the enrollment process.
Did you get a phone call, text, email or letter in a turquoise envelope from the State of New Mexico Human Services Department (HSD)? This was a notification to renew your Medicaid and see if you are still eligible or need to enroll elsewhere.
BeWellnm makes it easy to get affordable health insurance. Lost your Medicaid coverage? Can’t get health insurance from your job? Our Certified Assisters can help you find low-cost or no-cost health coverage that works for your life and budget.
See what health insurance can do for you. Still need help? Call 833-862-3935 and we’ll provide you with answers.
Want help replacing Medicaid?
We can help you find the best plan with a trusted insurer. Schedule an appointment to get help from a beWellnm Certified Assister and stay covered.